Mini pies are the new cupcakes and cake pops.
Mini pies are one of the most popular trends in baking, leading the way in the mini-dessert craze. Everyone loves these adorable, fun-sized desserts and savory morsels that are perfect whether on the go, hosting an elegant party or just snooping for after-school snack ideas. They are the perfect example of good things that come in small packages.
A novice or experienced baker will be enchanted with Hession's recipes. She shares tips and techniques from her wide experience in creating perfect mini pies, and provides recipes for a wide array of crusts including gluten-free and vegan options. Flavor combinations range from the sweet and sumptuous to the hearty and savory. Here is a sampling of the recipes:
- The Classics like Lemon Meringue Tartlets, New England Lobster Pies and of course, Classic Apple Pies
- Sweet, fruit-filled pies like Very Berry Goat Cheese Pies, Strawberry Basil Hand Pies, and Port Glazed Concord Grape Pies
- Custard and Caramel pies like Maple Nut Caramel, Bananas Foster or Mini Brown Butter and Golden Raisin Tartlets
- Holiday pies such as Festive Spiced Cranberry Pies and Pear and Gingerbread Tartlets
- Savory offerings such as Zesty Pork Empanadas, Potato, Leek and Gorgonzola Pies and Caramelized Cauliflower Pies with Pancetta and Sage
- Vegetarian Pies like Baked Brie and Tomato Jam Turnovers or Moroccan Chickpea Pies.
Simply delicious recipes, luscious photos along with step-by-step photos for perfecting the perfect pie crust and easy-to-follow instructions make this the definitive mini-pie cookbook.
Julie Anne Hession is a successful chef, food writer, and food blogger. Her sweet creations have been featured in People, O, Better Homes and Gardens and Food Network Magazine. In competitive cooking she has taken top honors in multiple battles, winning more than $100,000 in cash and prizes, bragging rights and most importantly, the seal of approval from Iron Chef Bobby Flay.